Can I access a public computer during curbside pickup hours?
- You can schedule an appointment to borrow one of the new full-sized Chromebooks via curbside pickup.
- Call the library at 978-325-5500, email email@example.com, or use the Ask a Librarian instant messaging service on our website to book your Chromebook appointment. Please note that Chromebook availability is limited. We recommend contacting the library at least a day in advance to make an appointment.
How long can I borrow a Chromebook for?
- The Chromebooks can be checked out for up to 3 hours and appointments are available Monday – Saturday.
- You can pick up a Chromebook starting at 1:00pm on the day of your scheduled appointment and can have it checked out until 4:00pm.
- They must be returned on the same day they are borrowed. So how much time you get to use the Chromebooks depends on what time you pick up the Chromebook.
- Chromebooks can only be checked out once per day due to an extensive sanitation process that must be performed between each time it is used and requires the computer to dry overnight in order to avoid damage.
How do I pick up a Chromebook for my scheduled appointment?
- You may pick them up and return them only during curbside hours 1:00pm-4:00pm Monday – Saturday.
- When you arrive at the library’s parking lot, STAY IN YOUR CAR and drive up to the designated area. One of our staff will approach your window from a safe distance to ask you for your name. Please tell staff that you are picking up a Chromebook.
- When they bring out your bagged items, please open the back of your vehicle so they can transfer the items to you while maintaining a safe distance.
How many times can I borrow a Chromebook per week?
We are currently allowing patrons to make up to two appointments per week while we evaluate the demand for our public computing services during our phased reopening in order to ensure that we are able to meet our community’s needs.
Where can I use the Chromebooks?
- You can use the Chromebook anywhere there is internet access. Feel free to use the Chromebook on the library grounds such as the parking lot, front entrance, and amphitheater.
- If you use the Chromebook on library grounds you must follow social distancing protocols and respect the space of other people on the grounds.
- Our public Wi-Fi connection extends throughout the parking lot and about 50 ft. from the perimeter of the library building with decent strength.
Will the Chromebook that I borrow come with a wireless hotspot?
- We have set aside some wireless hotspots for Chromebook appointments, but we cannot provide a hotspot for every Chromebook. Please tell staff if you want to borrow a hotspot during your Chromebook appointment and we will let you know if there’s any available.
- The hotspot that you borrow for your Chromebook appointment must be returned at the same time that you return the Chromebook.
- You may also place a hold on a wireless hotspot from our Library of Things that you can borrow for up to a week (See “Are the Library’s Wi-Fi hotspots still available to reserve during curbside services?” FAQ for more information.)
How do I return the Chromebook?
- Return to the parking lot where you picked up the Chromebook by 4pm.
- When you arrive at the library’s parking lot, STAY IN YOUR CAR and drive up to the designated area. One of our staff will approach your window from a safe distance. Let staff know that you are returning your Chromebook.
- The Chromebook must be returned in person to a staff member assisting with curbside pickup. Chromebooks must NOT be returned in the drop off bins. The likelihood of damage is high due to the weight, shape, and materials of the items returned in our drop off bins.
What happens if I do not return the Chromebook to curbside services on the day that I borrow it and return it the next day or later?
Your account will be fined the cost of replacement of the Chromebook until it is returned.
What should I do if I can return the Chromebook before curbside services end on the day I borrowed it but I am running late to the 4:00pm check-in time?
If you borrow a Chromebook and are running late for the 4:00pm check-in time, please contact us immediately to let us know by calling the library 978-325-5501.
What happens if I can’t make my appointment to pick up a Chromebook?
If you can’t make your scheduled appointment to borrow a Chromebook, please contact the library as soon as possible to reschedule your appointment as well as provide your missed appointment to someone else.
Will the Library’s public Wi-Fi be available during curbside services?
Yes, our free public Wi-Fi connection continues to be from outside of the building 24/7, no password or library card required to access. The signal extends throughout our parking lot and about 50′ away from the perimeter of the building. If you are on library grounds to use the public Wi-Fi connection please wear a face mask and practice social distancing.
Are the Library’s Wi-Fi hotspots still available to reserve during curbside services?
Yes, we have Wi-Fi hotspots available from our Library of Things collection that can be borrowed via curbside pickup for a week at a time. Reserve a hotspot online www.sawyerfreelibrary.org or by calling the library, 978-325-5501. You will need your library card.
Will printing be available during curbside services?
Printing will be available during 1:00pm-5:00pm. Email documents that you want printed to firstname.lastname@example.org and provide us with your first and last name in the email. We will respond to your email when it is available to pick up. Your print job will be placed in a folder or envelop with your name on it to protect any personal information. Once your print job is picked up we will delete the document from our email to ensure your privacy as well.
How much does printing cost during curbside services?
Printing will be free during curbside services in order to not place any extra financial burden on our community during this crisis. Because of this, we ask that you keep the documents that you need printed under 10 pages if possible and limit your print jobs based on their importance.